December 20, 2012

Ocean

I am back in the studio now after a recent 8 month stint overseas, living and working for the most part in Greece. 2 out of every 12 days, on average, I would find myself on the party island of Ios. Deprived of forests and trees on the islands, I had little wilderness to get lost in during my free time.

The Aegean is not quite the wilderness of the southern Oceans, having been fished for centuries and the local communities consuming much of the marine inhabitants for lunch. (I must admit, I too am guilty of this). However, when I did have a few hours to spare, I indulged my time to join in the local Ios Dive Centre and explore the world underwater.

3 months since I flew out of Greece and 2 weeks being back in the studio and the work I have begun to create, is mostly inspired by the ocean. Whilst I am trying to shy away from being literal in my representation, you cannot deny the source of my textures are based from coral and urchins. Both of which I collected on the beaches of Tasmania on my many beach combing expeditions.

It occurred to me to listen to one of my favourite John Butler songs whilst in the studio today. Ocean. A song it seems to get better with age. The link below is a recent studio recording which I found. ENJOY!